Monday, January 31, 2011

not so big


I don't know how many people know that I have a huge passion for architecture, specifically house design. I love, love, love houses!!! I think I started designing floor plans around the age of 8. There's something about them...it's like writing a story for someone to live in. It's just amazing to see a house come together. However, it is not an easy task. To look at a floor plan and envision living in that space is complicated. How will you feel in this space is a mystery, and that mystery is what is intrigues the heck out of me! I think I chose architectural engineering to study because it had the word architecture in it! Ahh...I just love it...I read house plan books like they are the best books ever written.

Anyway, I'll stop rambling on my love of houses and share my favorite architect with you. Sarah Susanka started the Not So Big House revolution and I love it. To sum it up, her theory is that modern day houses sacrifice design for space. And we are not happy living in a huge space with no character. She intricately designs certain elements of houses to make it feel like a home, not a museum. And it makes perfect sense.

If anyone out there loves house design, you must check out her books on Not So Big Houses. Or check out her website. It's a different way of thinking, and in my opinion, a renewed and necessary sense of thinking towards house design.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Hey! Your comment reminded me to stop over at your blog... and I just have to say that I love houseplans and this architect/designer sounds intrigueing. I'll have to see if they have her books at our library!