Friday, May 7, 2010

battling boredom

The other day as I was driving (don't you always have good deep thoughts while driving...well, that is in between entertaining the kiddo and listening to the Wheels on the Bus) I had a revelation. I'm sure I've had this revelation before, but this day I pondered it. I realized that most days when I'm not as effective as I'd like to be, I'm suffering from boredom. It seems selfish to say that when I am completely blessed and am allowed to have my absolute dream job. Some days I have to remind myself that there is ABSOLUTELY nothing else I'd rather do than stay home with my sweet daughter and take care of my wonderful husband.

However, I will admit that there are days I just don't feel challenged. Oh yes, I am challenged, in different ways. But previously I was challenged by my career. One of the things I loved about engineering was the challenge. It never felt like you mastered your job...there was always something new. (Of course, the same is true for raising a child.) What I find though is I feel like my brain is a little stagnant. I want to grow it again, so I've decided to put myself in "school" again. I absolutely love architecture...I even ponder going back to school for it someday. In the meantime, I'm going to utilize the wonderful library (we pay for it, we need to use it!) and I'm going to focus on learning again. Heck, to make myself disciplined, I hope to give myself assignments!

Of course, there are so many other things I'd love to be more educated on: Photography, cooking, healthy living, running... the list goes on....

Oh and I must not forget, and this should really be the first priority...spiritual challenges. I need to ponder that...Bella, let's go for another drive...

No comments: