Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Bermuda... yes or no?

Well, this Bermuda trip has been an experience...and we've only been here a day and a half! When we were flying in, it was a cloudy view, but seeing Bermuda was just amazing. I had never flown into an island before, so it was an awesome thing to see. It definitely felt like we were going to land in the water as we were descending! I think it's so amazing that there's this little community out in the middle of the ocean.

I've learned a few things while we've been here...

1. You need to say "Hello, how are you?" to everyone! It is considered rude here to not say hi. This morning I was walking back to the hotel, and I said "Good Morning" to most people. This, I like.

2. This is the most manicured place I've ever been to! The houses and buildings are immaculate...always painted perfectly. Flowers are everywhere and they are beautiful. The city has so much character with the architecture and style.

3. There is reverse discrimination here. I have never experienced that before! Last night we went to eat with Jason's future boss (possibly) and his wife. His wife was dressed up, but she was wearing jeans. The maitre de scolded her for wearing jeans, yet there were 3 or 4 other people there wearing jeans. It is a strange thing to feel like a minority, yet, I'm glad that I can empathize with those who are discriminated against on a regular basis.

4. Things are expensive, I mean expensive. I knew this coming in, but it's still a strange thing to see tomatoes for $6.99/pound, Wheat Thins for $4.50, 2 liter of Coke for $3.50, etc. Electricity bills (including electricity only) runs about $450/month. It sure makes the Gardner utility bill seem low! The ironic thing is, the coffee prices are extremely similar to Starbucks...guess we know Starbucks really is overcharging! I know why Starbucks hasn't come here...they'd have to charge $8 for a cup of coffee and even the locals wouldn't pay that!

5. There are hardly any commercial restaurants here. I was dumbfounded when we saw there was a KFC opening this week! At least there will be one comfort restaurant if we are ever homesick!

Those were my latest observations for Bermuda. It is an amazing place and I hope we can know for certain if this is where God wants us. We surrendered this decision to Him and I know He won't disappoint if we come here or stay in Gardner. We know one thing for sure, in this decision, we've learned what a wonderful life we have in Kansas. We adore our friends, we love our neighborhood, we love life there. But we can't be afraid to get out of our comfort zone for awhile. In God' hands....

No comments: