Saturday, April 23, 2011

food 101

On our little vacation back home, I picked up some books from the wonderful library. I wanted to read Pollan's (Food, Inc.) books, so I got Food Rules and In Defense of Food. 2 very intriguing books! I think a few things I've pulled out that I would love to do are:
  • Eat more fruits and veggies...and try new things! I'm excited to go to the Farmers' Market soon! To not be afraid of certain foods.
  • Jason and I discussed eating more wild food. He's going to go hunting...we're planning to add deer to our eating. Go fish and eat more fish we catch ourselves. I'll leave the dirty part to Jason, though.
  • Make sour dough bread. My wonderful friend who is all about making her own food inspires me! And she suggested this, so I'm going to try it! Plus fermented foods are good for you!
  • Eat less! I picked up some organic sausage from our local store and I found that I honored it more. We ate less because it was expensive, but it felt good to actually appreciate that it took care to grow this pig. Eating a full pound in a matter of an hour does not honor that pig's life. That might sound corny, but I don't care. :)
  • Eat the full fat version, but eat less. I'm sure my dietician mother will not want to read this! Bring on the whole milk, baby! Pollan discussed that making full fat products skim uses additives to reach that product. Real food = good! Preservatives = bad!
  • Buy products that have 5 ingredients or less. Not easy, but I like it.
  • Celebrate food. It is not the enemy. It allows us to live and thrive and love!
I wanted to list some websites included in Pollan's book to keep on hand:

Center for Informed Food Choices www.informedeating.org
Eat Local Challenge www.eatlocalchallenge.com
Eat Well www.eatwellguide.com
Eat Wild www.eatwild.com
Food Routes www.foodroutes.org
Local Harvest www.localharvest.com (I've used this site a lot!)
Weston A. Price Foundation www.westonaprice.org

No comments: